n otoscopic examination allows us to look at your ear canal and eardrum to visually check for wax or foreign bodies. The tympanic membrane, or eardrum, serves as the window into the middle ear. Direct observation of the tympanic membrane and external auditory canal through an otoscope ear light, offers valuable information about possible problems within the outer and middle ear.
Potential problems include:
- Excess earwax, which can build up and obstruct the ear canal, preventing sound from reaching your eardrum.
- A foreign object or matter in the ear canal.
- Any anomalies, such as perforation of the eardrum or fluid build-up in the middle ear which will require a referral for medical attention.
Some Otoscopic Examination Results
Just in case you are curious, here is a list of some of the results found when conducting Otoscopic examinations:
- Normal Tympanic Membrane
- Central Perforation of the Tympanic Membrane
- Acute Otitis Externa
- Serous Otitis Media
- Healed Central Perforation
- Tympanostomy Tube
- Traumatic Perforation
- Adhesive (Atrophic) Otitis Media
- Tympanosclerosis Involving the Ossicles
- Keratosis Obturans
- Red Reflex
- Foreign Body
If you wish to view these conditions, go to WelchAllyn’s Otoscopic Pathologies page and use the drop-down menu to see the various pathologies.
I have been with this company since it opened and I have received the best service from them. From the day I purchased my hearing aids right through going back in for routine cleaning which is a free service included in the purchase. From time to time I also have a free hearing test to ensure that my hearing hasn’t changed. They are trustworthy and honest, which is awesome in today’s environment. I highly recommend them. I have used Hearing Dynamics since they opened their doors and have had nothing but the finest treatment to the quality hearing aids I purchased from them. Their follow up is totally awesome and they make you feel more like family than a customer. I highly recommend this business.